For anyone that hasnt used a baitcasting reel before, they have probably been told many stories that could put them of, such as problems with 'birdnests'. The truth is though, these are the fishing reels that you will get the most enjoyment out of.
Like any other type of reel though, there are a wide range of specifications and features to consider which can make it hard to choose the right baitcasting reel to suit your style.
Here are the most important 3 features you should look for;
- Retrieve Ratio - this is represented as a ratio and usually looks like 2:1, 6:1, 7:3:1 and so on. It signifies the number of times the spool wraps around the line compared to the number of revolutions of the handle. Most modern day baitcasting reels will be around 5:1 or greater, which means you will get 5 reels of spool every time you turn the handle. If you end up getting anything faster than this it obviously makes the retrieve a lot easier and less tiring.
- Bearings - All reels will come with a number of bearings and most of them will be classified as anti-friction bearings. They are there to do just that - remove as much friction as possible. This will directly impact how smooth the reel is when casting and retrieving. The number of bearings will differ between reels and a higher number does not always mean it will be smoother although it is a good indicator.
- The frame - several different materials are used in baitcasting reels although today you will usually find either aluminum, graphite or a combination of the two. The best is of course aluminum although there are different grades available too - look out for cold forged aluminum frames (and spools).
These are the 3 more important things to bear in mind when looking for baitcasting reels. Of course, all manufacturers add their own features and patended reel systems and ultimately these will play a part in how well a reel performs. You cannot however overlook the basics as a good starting point.
There are other people interested in this, searching for:
- what to look for in a baitcasting reel
- baitcasting reel features
- is it bad to have a lot of bb what to look for in a baitcast reel
- what features are opna bait baitcaster reel
- what to look for in a baitcasting fishing reel
- what to look for in bait cast reels
- what to look for in baitcasting reels